This will be my 100th post. Phew…let me just inhale that, like a coffee junkie walking in to Dunkin’ Donuts. Ahhhh, that’s good stuff.
I’ve been thinking all week about how I want this 100th post to look. I’ve decided that it will be one of reflection. So I give you my thoughts in a list. Because above all, I’ve learned that our tiny little attention spans, love a good list!
1. I don’t really have a niche. And that’s ok. I write about being a Mom – how my kids are killing me slowly and teaching me about life and love daily. I write about marriage. I write about personal struggles – abuse, depression, shame, grief and other deep shit. I write about being a thirty-something woman, trying to dig a path through what she has become, to find herself again. I write about writing.
2. Writing fiction is something I never imagined myself doing. I’ve learned that just because you think it’s “not your thing”, don’t not at least try it. I’ve fallen a bit in love with writing fiction. It’s pushing me out of comfort zones. I find it both liberating and frightening as hell. My mind has gone to some humorous, scary and “what-the…” kind of places since I let go, and let my imagination lead.
3. The blogging community is a pretty amazing place. The reward of reads, comments, thank yous, laughs, likes, personal sharing and riding along on other people’s journey, is humbling.
4. Blogging is a platform for honing my craft. I have no idea where it is going to take me, but writing will always have a strong presence in my life, because of it.
5. About the only thing that I have consistently said I wanted to be “when I grow up” – is a writer. I actually feel like that is a goal, instead of just a pipe dream now.
So 6 months, 100 posts and five lessons later… I’m excited to see where blogging and processing my thoughts, via the “pen” takes me next. Thanks to those that have followed me from the very beginning and those that have jumped on board along the way.
What has been your favorite blogging milestone yet? Care to share any lessons learned? Is there anything I haven’t already told you in my “open book” blog, that you want to ask me?
21 thoughts on “6 months, 100 posts, 5 lessons learned.”
You is a writer. Me is too.
Awww..thanks Speaker 🙂 Me appreciate it.
Love reading your work. 69 was my milestone post. Haven’t even made it to 100.
You will. I respect someone that doesn’t rush their writing just to hit a number or post for the day. Your work is good. I have never really been a stats whore but I put quite a few posts out there before I really looked them over. Had I not been so anxious to just hit publish, they would have looked differently. I don’t care though…I had no idea what I was doing when I first started all this. 🙂
Favorite blogging milestone? That’s a tough one. I guess being Freshly Pressed was pretty bad ass.
Lessons learned? Too many to list here. Some good. Others bad. Not all of them would I discuss publicly, either.
Being FP’ed is totally bad ass!! It’s funny because to those that don’t blog (everyone else I know), they don’t really get it. My BFF was at a loss for words when she heard how excited I was telling her. I just laughed.
Hahaha! We’re definitely our own breed, aren’t we?
Congrats on 100! Looking forward to many more.
Always write for yourself. Don’t jump on trends or link-ups or anything that you don’t actually feel like writing.
I feel ya Guapo. Linking up just to add “bodies” to your following count is not my thing. I have a few that feel authentic to me and I check out from time to time. The prompts are challenging to me, when I’m in the mood for that. Thanks for following along 🙂
Yay! Happy 100! I am a nicheless blogger too, and after a year and a half of blogging, I can say, just write what makes you come alive. 🙂
Your words ring true with me. Especially now. I’ve gotten to a place where I don’t have as much anxiety if I don’t write. I don’t try to balance topics or sneak in humor if I don’t feel like it. I just write.
Happy 100th! I have said before: I don’t fit a niche in real-life, how can I define myself in one online? I’m depressed, makeup junkie, bulimic, single, video game and music lover. Sometimes all at once.
Milestones…um, Freshly Presseds that surprised me, hitting a certain number of followers.
Lessons learned…there are a lot of friends to be made, but not everyone is meant to be your friend. And that’s OK. (if that makes any sense)
Great comment! I’d have to say I agree with the Freshly Pressed milestone…that was one that still makes me smile a bit. 🙂
Way to go!!! I am excited to see what interesting concoctions you spin in the later months and years… Congratulations!
And umm I don’t have any fancy milestone under my belt.. but every time someone reads and likes my writing is when a small celebration takes place in my head. That and well just today I kind of revamped my entire blog; with a clearer path to where I want to go; from the web address to the title.. so that’s sort of a milestone for me:)
Revamping and figuring it all out is definitely a milestone. 🙂
Congratulations on your 100th post, Dawn. I remember how I felt when that happened for me. My first blogging milestone was when I hit 50 followers…and they weren’t all related to me. Now I’m approaching 1100 and I am still amazed. There is joy every time someone comments on a post…I do a little happy dance as I answer them. Blogging is thrilling every time, and I’m glad we are doing it! – Fawn
1100!! That’s awesome 🙂 I’m upwards of 700 and quite in awe of that.
What, only six months? 100 posts? Are you shitting me? And you’re as good as you are? That just isn’t fair; that just isn’t right! I try to write fiction and it looks like a politician trying to tell the truth. I’m not kidding at all; I love your stuff. Suck it up, girl, and write a book. There is nothing other than children, life, exhaustion, etc., to keep you from it, and we’re all putting up with that sort of thing!
You are perhaps the best kick in the ass I have! Thank you….just thank you.